Joint Conferences CERCEC-Centre d'Histoire Science po - Yuri Slezkine 4 May 2018 & Serhii Plokhii 15 May 2018
The Center for Russian, Caucasian and Central European Studies (CERCEC) and the Sciences-Po History Center have the honor to invite you to two joint public lectures on the trajectories of Russia and Ukraine since the 1917 Revolution
- Yuri SLEZKINE, Jane K. Sather Professor of History, University of California Berkeley - "The Life and Death of the Russian revolution" - EHESS, salle Lombards, 96 bd Raspail, 75006 Paris
The talk will follow the lives of the original Bolsheviks from the time they joined the apocalyptic sect known as “the party of a new type” to the time most of them were arrested for terrorism and treason. It will focus on the connection betwen private lives and millenarian expectations and attempt to clarify the reasons for socialism’s premature demise.
- Serhii PLOKHII, Professor of History and Director, Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University - "Goodbye Lenin: A Memory Shift in Revolutionary Ukraine" - Science Po, Conference room, 56 rue Jacob, 75006 Paris, Registration at email@example.com
More than 500 statues to Vladimir Lenin were removed in Ukraine in the course of Leninfall, a mass demolition of statues to the communist leaders, sparked by the Euromaidan protests of 2013-2014. What was behind these acts of iconoclasm and what awaits Ukraine next are the questions at the center of the forthcoming talk.
- Friday 4 May 2018 - 18:00 to 20:00
- Tuesday 15 May 2018 - 17:00
- Yuri Slezkine: EHESS, salle Lombards, 96 bd Raspail, 75006 Paris
- Serhii Plokhii: Science Po, Conference room, 56 rue Jacob, 75006 Paris